Tuesday, June 28, 2005

I Was A Witness

A friend's bag was stolen last June 23 while we were playing at Timezone in Megamall. I didn't see how it got lost 'coz I was concentrating on winning the third race. Indeed, I won. But a friend's loss was what would make this day unforgettable.

I didn't witness the crime. But what I witnessed was just as significant.

While we were in the process of identifying the suspect, I couldn't help but get mad. Just as I was beginning to trust people again, something like this would happen. As a nation, we are dealing with the same problem of trust. What is happening? How could people hurt each other just like that? I was starting to get disillusioned again, reminding myself to be cautious of the individuals I come in contact with everyday and not to trust easily even if they have the most angelic face.

But the two individuals I was with made me think otherwise. The world is full of pain and negative things. But there is just as much - or even more - goodness.

Having gone through a process like this twice before, Yellow 4 could have let go of the suspect and tell our friend to leave it the way it is. Nothing would be recovered. We'd all get our rest. Meanwhile, Pink 5 was on her way home. She went back when she found out what happend to our friend. She had no idea that this was gonna be a long night. They both stayed for our friend.

The greatest love is to lay down one's life for a friend.

They didn't actually give up their lives for our friend. But they sacrificed a lot. They gave up a night's comfort with all its routine.

I didn't witness the crime. But I witnessed a version of the greatest love.

To Yellow 4 and Pink 5 (if ever you get the chance to read this), it is such an honor and pleasure knowing you. I'm sure our friend feels so blessed to have you during that night. As for me, I'm thankful for the realization of God's goodness through you. I hope that more people will realize this too. You are a blessing.

No comments: