Saturday, March 31, 2007

My Utmost For The Most High

It has been ten years since I and 97 others graduated from highschool. The batch's motto was "My Utmost For The Most High". This was actually derived from a daily devotional book with the title "My Utmost For His Highest". But the nuns at our school had grammatical issues with it, and so we changed it appropriately.

I was part of the committee incharge of creating the batch song. I don't actually remember if I did contribute at least a line or two and a few notes and chords. But full credit is given to Pia and Chinggay for the music and lyrics. I did play the guitar while the batch sang our song on graduation day, though.

Here's the song:

Lord, look upon me
Embrace me with Your love
Grant that people see
That You are in me, beside me

Lord, I am Your handmaid
Your words are in my heart
You have called me by my name
How can I turn away, turn away

Chorus:
So I offer You my life
All the treasured things my heart can hold
I hand to You
So guide me through Your way
Let me walk the path that leads to You
Leaving all behind
My gift to You will be the very best of me
My days will be a witness to Your love
My utmost for the Father who uplifts me
My everything I give for the Most High

Take my thanksgiving
For all that You have been
My strength, my light, my friend
From life's wounds, You've healed me

I fear not what will be
As I bid farewell to friends
As I travel my own road
Knowing I have You with me

I remember while I was playing the guitar, midway through the song, I was already crying. I can't seem to imagine that I'd be parting with people I spent 11 years with, with friends I practically grew up with.

As I look at my life now, I still would like to believe that I have been living my life the way I dreamt of living it, the way 98 of us sang it - that is, being a witness to God's love - though I know that my life is not as perfect as His love for me is.

For those who know me and what I went through, this was how I learned to live again. And this is what I live for now.

And while I'm on reminiscing still, here are some pictures from highschool.





Left to Right:

Picture 1 - First year, summer with Mia, Donna, and Chermaine (not in picture) at Aling Pining's in Sikatuna, Quezon City
Picture 2 - Third year, manning our booth with Katre, Mia, and Donna during our School Fair
Picture 3 - Third year, breaktime during our last Retreat in Antipolo
Picture 4 - Fourth year, highschool barkada after CAT

No comments: